- At least 16 years of age.
- Must have an interest in working with animals and people and/or a willingness to learn.
- Interacting with the public in main exhibit areas.
- Providing educational tours of the building for groups of all ages.
- Assisting staff behind the scenes, when needed, with daily work load and odd jobs.
- Performing interpretive talks on a microphone; sometimes to accompany a feeding demonstration.
- Monitoring public behavior to ensure the safety of our guests and animals.
- Providing assistance to disabled guests.
- Assisting staff with on and off site educational programs that may include live animals.
- Assisting with miscellaneous house cleaning chores as needed.
- Assisting with Birthday parties (including tours or hosting).
- Acting as costumed aquarium mascot.
- Assisting staff or perform daily water quality testing.
- Assisting husbandry staff with feeding, enrichment, or exhibit maintenance.
- Using personal skills to assist with ongoing projects in the aquarium.
- And anything else that may be needed to help the aquarium fulfill its mission.
- Expected to familiarize yourself with the life histories and conservation considerations of animals in our facility.
- Must have good communication skills.
- Must be able to adapt to frequent schedule changes.
- Must be willing to work/interact with a diverse group of people and animals.
- Must have reliable transportation.
- Must be willing to volunteer for a minimum of six months.
- Must be willing to donate a minimum of 8-16 hours per month (depending on the season), 24 hours per month if volunteering in the summer only.
Position involves standing for long periods of time, stair climbing throughout the day, and occasionally working in stressful situations.