Jenkinson’s is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants are considered for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, gender, sexual orientation and marital status. All questions must be answered.
We are currently looking to fill the following positions:
Job Title: Aquarist I
This is an entry-level part-time aquarist position. An Aquarist I should have an interest in animal husbandry within a public aquarium. This position assists the Aquarist II and Senior Aquarist with the daily maintenance and care of aquatic animals.
- Assisting with monitoring and maintaining life support systems on aquarium tanks (1 to 58,000 gallons) daily.
- Assisting with collection, restraint, and transportation of specimens.
- Interpreting daily water quality analysis and performing necessary actions (water changes, etc.) for optimal health.
- May assist plumbing new aquatic systems and/or repairs of existing systems.
- Cleaning all exhibits and holdings and related equipment.
- Maintaining all service areas and equipment.
- Maintaining live food cultures.
- Maintaining sustainability systems.
- Daily animal welfare checks.
- Feedings of select animals.
- Carrying out medical treatments and/or quarantine procedures under the direction of Aquarium Veterinarian.
- Maintaining daily logs of water quality, system maintenance, veterinary treatments, quarantine, and changes in census.
- Performing other duties as assigned, including group educational tours and medical requests, in order to obtain goals and mission of the aquarium.
Experience and Education:
Bachelor’s degree in marine biology or related science and/or one (1) year of paid experience in a zoo/aquarium setting.
- Familiarity with natural history and husbandry requirements of animals in collection.
- Ability to work without direct supervision.
- Strong communication skills.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Must be able to swim.
- Must be able to lift 50+ pounds.
- Scuba certified a plus.
- Flexible schedule, including nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
Will be required to work with hazardous materials such as chlorine and work in confined areas. Will be required to work in extreme environmental conditions (cold, hot, humid, dirty, wet, etc.).