Jenkinson’s Aquarium is Currently hiring for:
Interpreter will assist guests and perform educational tours. The primary function of this entry level seasonal position is as an ambassador to the animals in our collection.
- Interacting with public in main exhibit areas.
- Providing educational tours for groups (pre-school through adult).
- Assisting guests with touch tanks.
- Performing interpretive talks on a microphone; sometimes to accompany a feeding demonstration.
- Monitoring public behavior to ensure safety of guests and animals.
- Providing assistance to disabled guests.
- Performing on and off-site educational programs that may include live animals.
- Completing miscellaneous housekeeping chores including dusting and vacuuming.
- Assisting with maintenance and cleaning of animal exhibits.
- Acting as costumed aquarium mascot.
- Participating in daily water quality analysis.
- Assisting husbandry staff with feeding and enrichment.
- And anything else that may be needed to help the Aquarium fulfill its Mission
Experience and Education:
This is an entry level position requiring a strong interest in marine biology, environmental science, and/or education fields.
- Expected to familiarize yourself with life histories and conservation considerations of animals in the collection.
- Must be willing to work flexible hours including nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Must be able to climb a ladder, swim, and lift 50 pounds.
- Must have good communications skills.
- Must be able to complete projects with deadlines.
- Must be able to adapt to frequent schedule changes.
- Must have a valid drivers license.
Position involves standing for long periods of time, stair climbing throughout the day, and occasionally working in stressful situations.
Costume Mascot/Perky the Penguin
Under the supervision of the Director, and/or his/her handler, he/she is responsible for performing as Perky the penguin, the Jenkinson’s Aquarium mascot.
- To represent the Aquarium at many on- and off-site functions (may include walking the boardwalk, appearances at various fairs and festivals around NJ, etc.)
- Greeting, interacting, dancing, hugging and taking photos with visitors
- Picking up and returning mascot suit for each appearance
- Taking care of mascot suit while in possession
- Performing other duties as assigned in order to obtain the goals and mission of the Aquarium
Experience: No experience is required, but any is helpful
- Must be available to work a flexible schedule. Potential nights, weekend and holiday work will be required.
- Ability to work scheduled event dates, including those outside of normal schedule if necessary.
- Must be energetic, personable, enthusiastic, outgoing and friendly
- Must be dependable
- Must be comfortable working with and around children and other visitors
- Must be able to work in a warm environment, and be comfortable wearing a costume for prolonged periods of time
- Must not be claustrophobic
- Outgoing and creative personality with a willingness and desire to have fun.
Jenkinson’s is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants are considered for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, gender, sexual orientation and marital status. All questions must be answered.
If you are interested in either of these positions please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.