Job Title: Volunteer
Term: Minimum of six months.
Goal: To allow our education department to expand its resources by reaching more people than it could without the invaluable help of volunteers. Assist behind the scenes with daily workload and ongoing projects.
Commitment: A minimum commitment of eight hours per month is expected.
- At least 16 years of age
- Mobile: transportation to the aquarium
- Must have good communication skills and willingness to represent aquarium in positive way
- Must be able to work as a member of a team
- Ability to relate to a wide variety of people (different age groups & cultural backgrounds)
- Attend volunteer orientation session and/ or training classes
- Communicate general information about the biology of animals by working public floor areas, group tours, individual exhibit discussions, outreach programs, and focus programs.
- Represent Jenkinson’s Aquarium in a positive way to the public. (i.e. well groomed, courteous, and knowledgeable)
- Assist behind the scenes, when needed, with daily work load and odd jobs
- Stay informed on exhibits, facts, and environmental issues.
- Communicate with Volunteer Coordinator about safety, upcoming events, workshops, and evaluations.
- Use personal skills to assist with ongoing projects in the aquarium.
- Eventually learning general feeding and care procedures for aquarium animals and exhibits.
Position involves standing for long periods of time, stair climbing throughout the day, and occasionally working in stressful situations.
For Complete Job Details: Download the Job Description PDF
If you are interested in becoming a docent, please call 732-899-1659 and ask for the Volunteer Coordinator.
Interested parties can also download, fill out and mail (or fax) the Volunteer Application.
Download Volunteer Application
Return completed application to:
300 Ocean Avenue
Point Pleasant Beach, NJ 08742